Fw: Action Cleaning

adkpiano adkpiano@breathemail.net
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:02:58 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: adkpiano <adkpiano@breathemail.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <
Date: 19 January 1999 21:58
Subject: Action Cleaning=20

Dear List=20
The following is a mere observation and does not reflect the working =
practices of the contributor !!!
A few months ago now I met a tech. who told me that he frequently used a =
low pressure spray gun to clean the dust {etc} out of those difficult to =
reach places of piano actions . He went on to say that he used silicon =
beads {?} which ,although, carcinogenic {!}, were able to be re-cycled. =
The action was removed and placed in a typical spray booth. He promised =
me that the spraying wouldn't affect the bushings etc . This is hard to =
believe . This method he said would remove the ingrained dirt.
He also said something to the effect of " Once upon a time he had SAND =
BLASTED an action "=20
I have asked a few technicians {Inc supply houses} here in the UK but no =
one is willing to enlighten me .=20
=20
High Pressure air blasting I know about. This is something different.
If someone could let me know what he was talking about .
Q Does anyone spray their actions clean ?
Q If silicon beads is a no-go , what if anything , is the alternative ?
Q Is the rest of the world silicon spraying their actions , except me ?
=20
Many Thanks in anticipation
=20
Alan King=20