String Breakage (Reply)

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:09:39 +0000

Hi Barrie,

I would imagine if you are doing a temporary repair until the
replacement string gets in, a knot would be just as good as a
"universal" string.  1I often don't have any luck replacing
just on of the strings in the unison.  The new string doesn't
match the old string's tone.  New is brighter etc.  I now order
both strings and never have the matching problem.  At Mapes,
where I get my replacements, there is a $10.00 minimum so the
extra string really doesn't cost much more.

All said and done I don't splice much except bass strings
(temporary like you) and tenor if it breaks at the tuning pin...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> There is no evil it, just don't look like a professional job that is how
> it is look at over hear. However, needs must in some situations like you
> have described and if the stability is better for the fist few hours all
> the better.   As for hexcored bass string I only use them until I have a
> re-placement,  I have had odd new strings that don't mach,  they get
> sent back.  The string maker will get it right the first time if you
> keep sending his/hers strings back and worn them you will change string
> maker.
>
> It could be that your string makers are out of practice at making odd
> strings if you all splice :-)
>

> Thanks for the fed back. I will have to give it a try, I will risk in on
> a Birdcage. ;-)
>
> Barrie
>

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
> The UK Piano Page                              |
> pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net