Filemaker Pro - was Windows Laptops

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:10:15 -0500

Greg Newell wrote:

> John Musselwhite wrote:
> >
> > At 11:56 PM 1/13/99 -0800, Greg wrote:
> > >Frank,
> > >       The newest version (3.0 i believe) runs $199 at Micro Center. I didn't
> > >know Approach was relational. Are you sure?  I already own approach but
> > >I don't use it.
> >
> > Yes, it's fully relational and simple to set up and use. I keep separate
> > dbases for client, invoices, pianos, tuning dates and directions to clients
> > homes and tie them all together with an Approach "view".
> >
> >                 John
> >
> > John Musselwhite, RPT -  Calgary, Alberta Canada
> > Registered Piano Technician   http://www.musselwhite.com
> > email: john@musselwhite.com
>
> John and Frank,
>         Could you please describe how you do this?  I recently found that
> approach will see all my files from PSM and so I can easily transfer the
> database.  I need to set up the "Approach view" of which you speak.  I
> hope to get as close as possible to the original look of PSM so as not
> to confuse the primary user ... my lovely wife. Do any of you have any
> suggestions as to how I may do this?  Am i correct in using Approach?
> Will I be better off with FileMaker Pro as my brother strongly
> suggests?  As for the others on this list who didn't buy a commercially
> available program what do you do?
>                         Greg Newell

>                                 Name: gnewell.vcf
>               Part 1.2          Type: text/x-vcard
>                             Encoding: 7bit

Greg, I have not set up a relational database as I only use mine for
customer lists.

Do you have a manual?  If not, they are available at any computer store.
I have an aftermarket manual by MIS Press that goes to Version 2.1.  My
present program is newer, so I also have the documentation that comes
with the software.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, Greg. Even if I had it set up, it might
be a little difficult to exlain in a short message. Besides being a
piano tuner, I an a technical writer in the telecommunications field, so
I know how important documentation is.

Seeing as John is all set up, he might be able to send you copies of his
files. You could dump them into your computer. Once you open them in
Approach, you could them use them as is. That's how I transfered my old
Approach files into the newest version of Approach.

It's easy to modify the view of all your fields.  So if you didn't like
John's set up, you could change them. Hey...I'd even send you a copy of
my file. It's not relational, but it would be a place to start.

I'm presently writing at my old full-time job on a contract. They use
File Maker Pro.  It works and it's not too difficult...no programming
needed.  It does not appear to be as colorful or showy as
Approach...'course I could be wrong...depends on how the File Maker Pro
was set up.

Let me know what you'd like to do.  It's not a big deal. Heck, I've
never been into software, so if I can make these things sing, so can
you.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member