Fw: Action Cleaning

GFi5607775@AOL.COM GFi5607775@AOL.COM
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:42:00 EST

In the middle and later 1970's here in the USA, While I was serving as an
apprentice, and "very" active in the PTG, (and well a bit younger), Due to my
inexperience and lack of knowledge, I was working pretty much on what we call
here "old clunkers".

On my very first grand rebuilding job, I decided to do everything...(and still
do) to the MAX. So, I looked into and found a small sandblasting gun, hooked
it up to a compressor, and just took the grand plate to the metal!

I taped off the aggaff with duck tape, and was actually working with an auto
body repair man on this "procedure". Well after 10 or so coats, of clear
lacquer mixed with my favorite color of bronzing powder, it was like a work of
art. (Oh, not a lot of elbow grease.)

While I had the "weapon" (sand blasting gun) in my hand, I just "hit" one of
my old junk actions with it. Unbelievable! I was using very fine white silica
sand, if I remember, it was a bag of what they used in ashtrays for hotels,
all the wires came out polished, the wood was new, and it was like seeing a
beautiful women, without her face covered.

I then tried a number of different materials, found someone who had a
"sandblasting box" with gloves fit to a window, everything I could find in my
area, well I just had to try.

I shared with as many PTG men as I could, traveling state to state, etc.
Never really gave it much thought until tonight, and your letter.

I actually have some of these actions out in the "field" I checked back on one
some years later, and did find a very small "trace" of white dust under the
action, and simply vacuumed it out. But that action, looked almost like new.
All I replaced were the hammers as I remember.

I did not follow up on this work, and today, well if you don't want me to
replace "everything" there are plenty of others out there to it "your way."

I still believe the "blasted method" as a real potential for "action
recycling" which is what I intended it to be for. As for any danger or harm
with particles getting into the bushings, In a "recycled" world, you really
don't need to be worried if your reviving the dead so to speak. Recycle is
cheaper than new. But it ain't new. Pinning is pinning..etc.

There are some very important details on exactly "how" I did this work, and
what did and did not work successfully.

But I was young then...and everyone well...anything
new..young..different..honest, is hard to integrate into a mainstream.

BLAST OFF my friend..have no fear of the unknown...this is called progress.

(Oh set of modem "networking systems" to stay in touch with university's and
"educated creative individuals...of my choice" before" I went to Saudi oh...10
years ago, couldn't get "ANYONE" to use it, back then)

Need details...E-Mail me direct, don't want to wake the Animals....

Gregory