Action Cleaning

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:47:29 -0500

Black walnut wood saw dust is considered to be a highly toxic
substance.  I don't know about walnut shell dust but I would prefer to
_good_ dust removal system when using walnut shells, _and_ working
walnut.  Black walnut is the more desirable cabinet wood.

                    Newton

cat woodrisk

From: rwex@clark.net (Richard L. Wexelblat)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Toxic woods
Date: 24 Feb 1995 00:54:43 GMT

I'll be darned. I kept this list from the last time it was posted:

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: 4 Nov 1994 20:37:04 GMT

I found the following chart in _American Woodturner_ June 1990, reprinted from
_Art Hazards News_ Vol. 13 No.5, compiled by Robert Woodcock, RN,BSN,CEN.

Wood            Reaction        Site    Potency Source  Incidence
----            --------        ----    ------- ------  ---------
Bald Cypress    S               R       +-       D       R
Balsam Fir      S               E,S     +-       LB      C
Beech           S,C             E,S,R   +-+-      LB,D    C
Birch           S               R       +-+-      W,D     C
Black Locust    I,N             E,S     +-+-+-     LB      C
Blackwood       S               E,S     +-+-      W,D     C
Boxwood         S               E,S     +-+-      W,D     C
Cashew          S               E,S     +-       W,D     R
Cocobolo        I,S             E,S,R   +-+-+-     W,D     C
Dahoma          I               E,S     +-+-      W,D     C
Ebony           I,S             E,S     +-+-      W,D     C
Elm             I               E,S     +-       D       R
Goncalo Alves   S               E,S     +-+-      W,D     R
Greenheart      S               E,S     +-+-+-     W,D     C
Hemlock         C               R       ?       D       U
Iroko           I,S,P           E,S,R   +-+-+-     W,D     C
Mahogany        S,P             S,R     +-       D       U
Mansonia        I,S             E,S     +-+-+-     W,D     C
                N                       +-       D
Maple (Spalted) S,P             R       +-+-+-     D       C
Mimosa          N                       ?       LB      U
Myrtle          S               R       +-+-      LB,D    C
Oak             S               E,S     +-+-      LB,D    R
                C                       ?       D       U
Obeche          I,S             E,S,R   +-+-+-     W,D     C
Oleander        DT              N,C     +-+-+-+-    D,W,LB  C
Olivewood       I,S             E,S,R   +-+-+-     W,D     C
Opepe           S               R       +-       D       R
Padauk          S               E,S,R   +-       W,D     R
Pau Ferro       S               E,S     +-       W,D     R
Peroba Rosa     I               R,N     +-+-      W,D     U
Purpleheart                     N       +-+-      W,D     C
Quebracho       I               R,N     +-+-      LB,D    C
                C                       ?       D       U
Redwood         S,P             E,S,R   +-+-      D       R
                C                       ?       D       U
Rosewoods       I,S             E,S,R   +-+-+-+-    W,D     U
Satinwood       I               E,S,R   +-+-+-     W,D     C
Sassafras       S               R       +-       D       C
                DT              N       +-       D,W,LB  R
                C                       ?       D       U
Sequoia         I               R       +-       D       R
Snakewood       I               R       +-+-      W,D     R
Spruce          S               R       +-       W,D     R
Walnut, Black   S               E,S     +-+-      W,D     C
Wenge           S               E,S,R   +-       W,D     C
Willow          S               R,N     +-       D,W,LB  U
West. Red Cedar S               R       +-+-+-     D,LB    C
Teak            S,P             E,S,R   +-+-      D       C
Yew             I               E,S     +-+-      D       C
                DT              N,C     +-+-+-+-    W,D     C
Zebrawood       S               E,S     +-+-      W,D
REACTION:               SITE:           SOURCE:           INCIDENCE:
I  - irritant           S - skin        D  - dust         R - rare
S  - sensitizer         E - eyes        LB - leaves,bark  C - common
C  - nasopharyngeal     R - respiratory W  - wood         U - uncommon
     cancer
P  - pheumonitis,       C - cardiac
     alveolitis
     (hypersensitivity
      pneumonia)
DT - direct toxin
N  - nausea, malaise
Reference:
1. _Woods Toxic to Man_, author unknown
2. Woods, B., Calnan, C.D., "Toxic Woods." _Br. Journal of Dermatology_ 1976
3. _ILO Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety_ 1983
4. Lame, K., McAnn, M., _AMA Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants_,
   AMA 1985
5. _Poisondex_, Micromedix Inc. 1990

In addition to the above, remember to take appropriate precautions when
working with spalted wood.

The question about toxicity in wood happens often enough that maybe this
ought to be added to the FAQlist

--
        Dick Wexelblat
        rwexelblat@acm.org