Steinway L "clunk" help needed

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:50:41 -0700

At 06:54 AM 1/20/99 PST, Ron wrote:

>I recently worked on a Steinway L (431725) that had a clunk sound on key
>release.  I'll go back to check on it, but I took a few mins. to look it
>over.
[...]
>I observed that the knuckles seemed really hard.
>
>Has anyone seen this before?

Yes... lots! Not only are they hard but often made from very ugly and rough
skins. Some had no leather at all, just the white roller "felt".

>What is going on - what can I do for this instrument?

Take your short voicing needles and very carefully go over a couple of the
noisiest note's knuckles with them trying not to go *all* the way through
the skin into the knuckle core. You'll probably hear/feel the needles
crunch a bit as they go through the leather and you'll learn how to feel
when to stop. Drop them onto the balanciers and compare the sound. It's
likely that about half the "clunk" will be gone and by carefully working
with them a bit perhaps even more. Brush lightly with a brass suede brush
when you're done.

The best fix is to replace the knuckles with good quality ones, but
needling them often brings the noise down to an acceptable level, at least
temporarily.

Knuckles are a "pet peave" of mine. If they aren't near-perfect in size,
shape and leather type don't mess with them, replace them or at least
recover them if the core is good.

			John
John Musselwhite, RPT -  Calgary, Alberta Canada
Registered Piano Technician   http://www.musselwhite.com
email: john@musselwhite.com