String Breakage (Reply)

Tony Caught caute@accessnt.com.au
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:39:16 +0930

>Hi Tony,
>
>If I was to travel 400 miles to tune a piano it would have to learn to
>swim. :-) I do know in your case you have to improvise a lot. un-like me
>I can just nip in the house when passing or back to the work shop if I
>need a tool or part.  I get upset if I have clocked up 50 miles in a
>day.
>
>Do you spend a week in each town?
>

>Barrie,

Hi Barrie,

The area of Australia that I live in is called the Northern Territory. It is
an area of approx 1,800 kilometres by 1,000 kilometres.  Two major cities
and four towns.  Population 100,700.

Temperature where I live in Darwin (the capital) at present 32 C. Humidity
95%

Temperature in Alice Springs (centre of Australia) 39 C Humidity 7%

And yes I sell a lot of Dampp-chaser's products.

The CSIRO (a government department) did a survey of the moisture content of
various types of timber in major towns and cities throughout Australia.
This survey shows the moisture content of 'pine' for example, monthly, for a
full year.  Measurements taken from sample that is under cover but not is a
closed room. Anybody interested let me know and I can send a graph or
something.

Have been here for 16 years and watched a lot of "tuners?" come and go.

1 University,  2 Entertainment centres, 340 school pianos (spread throughout
the Territory) and approx 1,000 private customers.   Some times I get worn a
bit thin.

No speed limit. Travel at 135 kilometres per hour by car.  Closest town is
300 K away. Travel to Alice Springs 4 times a year (1,500 K) Takes me 12
Hrs.

Time in different towns varies from 2 days to 3 weeks.

Sure I get lots of different problems, but its fun and I enjoy my work.

Tony   caute@accessnt.com.au