String Breakage (Reply)

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:06:51 -0400

Barrie Heaton wrote:
(snip)
> However, I would not expect it to
> be in the exam.   If it was placed in the exam it encourages you to do
> it more, it then becomes the accepted norm instead  of the  emergency
> repair as intended. So you find pianos full of elastic bands which could
> have been changed.
(snip)

We may not have made it clear that this is usually considered a
permanent repair.  I have seen several older pianos where someone tied a
knot at least ten or twenty years ago, judging by the string color and
reported service history.  There was no reason to replace it.  As we've
discussed, knots can be justified on the basis of cost or convenience or
tonal consistency.  The opportunity to display one's craftsmanship is
just a side benefit. :-)

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD