Fw: Action Cleaning

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:50:37 -0500

adkpiano wrote:

> [...]

We rebuild pianos/player pianos and reed organs and have been using the
glass bead blasting method for cleaning everything from wippens to pedal
rods for two plus years. It is the best system for cleaning parts BEFORE
they are rebuilt/releathered that I have ever seen. I built the bead
blasting booth that Bill Spurlock published plans for in the Journal and
use medium (140 grit) beads.

In cleaning keys, you can blast up to and onto the ivory with no damage.
Cover the capstans with short pieces of rubber tubing.  In actions we
put a small square of masking tape on the heel and top of the jack and a
piece of player tubing over the spoon.  On grand actions we cover the
top of the rep to be sure that the graphite is not roughened and also
cover any other parts that we do not wish to blast.  Old shanks and
flanges will look like new, ready for new knuckles/bushings.

Be sure that the pressure is not set too high. We operate from 30 to 120
psi.  A slightly roughened surface will sometimes occur but we have had
no problems from that.  I find that bushing cloth is too dense for any
beads to penetrate.  I have seen techs blasting old upright actions,
even hammers and supported dampers.  Blowing them out with air takes the
leftover beads out.  This is a great way to clean up actions that are
getting a quick reconditioning.

The beads we but come from Grainger and have no free silica and no
listed Carcinogenicity/are not a fire or explosion hazard.  However,
breathing the dust can irritate lung congitions so take appropriate
precautions.

Steve Grattan, Associate
lostchordclinic@ameritech.net