String Breakage (Reply)

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:34:00 EST

I don't think anybody's mentioned letting the customer decide -- in as non-
loaded a way as I can I explain the virtues of splicing (stability, tonal
match, lower cost) as well as those of replacement (cosmetic, maybe their
piano is almost new anyway, etc.) and let them decide. I mention that they're
only out 5-10 minutes for the splice, and that the string can be replaced
later if they want. Some decide that the splice isn't going to show anyway,
and some decide that it offends their sensibilities, but they choose. In
practice room situations where it is up to me, splicing is first choice except
for speaking length splices, which are temporary.

There is a SLIGHT tonal difference in the overtone structure of a spliced
treble wire, because of the difference made by the knot in the front duplex,
or sometimes when the stagger pin bend gets drawn into the speaking length,
but....

Bob Davis
Stockton, CA