Mahaffe lever

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:33:16 -0700

Hi Fabrizio,
There are at this time three Mahaffe style tuning levers made in the US.
All work on the principle  of impact to turn the tuning pin. The original
Mahaffe lever used a two part where a weighted handle  about 12 inches long
was connected to the tuning tip in such a way as to allow the handle to
move three to four inches before the  stop in the tuning tip part mated
with the stop in the handle causing the tuning pin to be turned by the
sudden impact. Techs who use this type of level are sometimes reffered to
as Swingers.
The three types of impact levers  are 1. Old Mahaffe weighted at the top of
the handle
                                                      2. New Mahaffe
weight is adjustable for different tightness
                                                          of tuning pin
                                                       3. My Grand Upright
lever in the shape of a ____l____
                                                           when used on
grands and with removable handles
                                                           so that one can
change impact weight or use it on
                                                           uprights
_l______
Hope this helps
Joe Goss
You know your strings are on the level if your bubble is in the middle.