GLASS BEADING of actions = INCOMPETENCE

Stan Kroeker skroeker@mts.net
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:27:33 -0600 (CST)

><<As to your concern about damaging action centers...well, there is simply no
>direct line of
>spray against any of the centers so it is hard to imagine how these
>microscopic spheres are going to take a 90 degree turn and enter the
>bushing to cause such imaginary havoc.>>

>The hydrological equivalent of this statement is that as long as you do not
>squirt water sideways into the center, there is no way they can get wet if you
>generally spray the action. I cannot see any way that abrasive dust (not the
>spheres) can avoid being driven into the centers by air pressure or momentum.
>Since I do not bead blast, I cannot pull pins on an action that I did some
>time ago and check for wear.

>It is for those who bead blast to prove this does not happen. Logic forces the
>conclusion that it is harmful. Why risk it?
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Bill, I'll kindly bring my portion of this exchange to a close with these
remarks:  I think you'll agree on re-reading the preceding paragraphs that
you base your opinion on assumptions only, not on empirical (or scientific)
evidence.  At least you haven't provided that evidence as I had initially
asked.

Perhaps there are real risks, but you certainly haven't identified and
proven them.  I and many others who employ this technique have experienced
none of the deterioration within piano actions that logic has forced you to
conclude will happen.  In this regard, I assure you I am not incompetent.

Best regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician