Vertical touch weight

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:19:01 -0500

Larry J. Messerly wrote:

> Down weight was 69 gms., up weight 21 gms.  giving me what I presume to
> be 24 gms. of friction.  If I can get that down to 10 gms. the down
> weight should come to 55 gms.

You have 24 grams of friction/ineffeciency and 45 grams of balance weight.
Both are high and the action IS too "heavy"
 for anyone.  This is the stuff of tendanitis and other physical problems.

> Are there standards for verticals?

No but being in the ball park of 36 to 38 grams of balance weight and 10 to
12 grams friction are worthy goals with a +-/- 20% is not unrealistic.

> My plan is to repin wippens and hammers, possibly reduce hammer return
> spring tension, refelt wippens and lubricate action areas as possible.

Springs are a major problem with verticals because they are not a solution
to leverage, but because of the very nature of an upright action they are
necessary.

Clean and polish the key pins, check the easing of key fronts and key center
bushings and the fit of the key balance hole, polish the capstans and
lubricate the wippen cloth.  If the wippen cloth has deep impressions you
can consider replacing it.

Make certain the wippen and especially the hammer flange pinning is proper
and the spring seats are lubricated with Protek.

Regulate the action: blow distance, capstans, level, dip, let-off,
backchecks, bridle wires and damper spoons.

Touch weight is measured with dampers off the spoons throughout, grands and
upright.

The hammer springs should _help_ return the hammers to rest but contribute
maybe 20% to 25% or less to down weight.  Check with and without the
spring.  Spring pressure is less important than proper butt pinning.  Don't
mess with spring pressure until you KNOW it is the problem and only after
doing all the other work first..

Go to an upright of good quality that you like and measure up and down
weights with and without springs.  This should provide you with some goals.

When all is done and right and the touch weight is still to high you can
then consider weighing out the keys.  Lead weights are NOT the solution to
poor action conditions.