Vertical touch weight

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:39:32 -0600

Hi Larry,
             There has been a lot of good things posted. If all the tips
check out, and you still have problems, you are looking at either a
misplaced key frame, the tip off will be shallow dip , due to the capstans
being too far back.  Nose bolt location is quite critical and will greatly
effect jack escapement.  On cheaper built consoles, I have found the key
beds mislocated, and skewed, this will throw off both the nose bolt and key
frame alignment.
As you have weight problems with the dampers off, then the dampers are out
of the equation. Deep cups in the wippen cloth can give these kinds of
figures. The up touch weight is reasonable, down is heavy. With deep cups
in the cloth the capstans tend to dig in, also if the cloth is worn to the
glue the friction will really increase.
Hope this helps
Roger

At 08:38 PM 23/01/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I just got home from tuning and evaluating a Gulbransen console 1954.
>The customers complaint about the acton was that it was too heavy, not
>something I normally run into with consoles.
>
>Down weight was 69 gms., up weight 21 gms.  giving me what I presume to
>be 24 gms. of friction.  If I can get that down to 10 gms. the down
>weight should come to 55 gms.
>
>Are there standards for verticals?
>
>Are my ideas off?
>
>My plan is to repin wippens and hammers, possibly reduce hammer return
>spring tension, refelt wippens and lubricate action areas as possible.
>
>Larry Messerly RPT
>Phoenix/Prescott
>A Real "Bald-one"

>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.