The Ragtime Society

PIANOGUY jkinnear@pianoguy.com
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:19:41 -0500

Dear Fellow Tuners. . .

I am looking for your help in a research project that has been an interest
of mine for some time.
As a hobby, my father rebuilt player pianos, and since many of them came
with rolls, some ragtime, his interest developed.
Some  40 years ago, my father,  Jim Sr, and several friends, started a group
dedicated to
 " The Preservation of Classic Ragtime". in Toronto Canada

They called it the Ragtime Society.

When I was a teen, I remember many ragtime players coming to our home in
Temperanceville, Ontario, Canada ( true ! ) to play and enjoy Ragtime.. .
Bob Darch, John Arpin, Max Morath, Tom Shea, Mike Montgomery, Trebor
Tichnor. . . are some of the names I remember.
.

Over the years, my father's involvement was passed on to others, and I don't
know if this group even exists today.
As a tuner, I have a reasonable idea as to what types of music my clients
enjoy and play,
and I thought that most of you would as well.
I would be interested in any anecdotes, or information that you'd care to
forward, either on this list, or privately to the address below.

My website has a glimpse of the past, but I hope there's some of you who can
help.

Thanks

Jim Kinnear, The Pianoguy
www.pianoguy.com