Growing Pains

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:43:39 -0500

Z! Reinhardt wrote:

> Dear Listmates --
>
> #Phil Glenn -- are you reading this?#
>
> Does anyone know what the action dimensions (spread, etc) are for a Young
> Chang G-157, approximately 10 years old?
>
> Today I came to one that may have a problem of swelling action brackets.
> Hammershanks resting on the cushions, hammers blocking against the strings
> ....  OK, raised the hammerline and reset let-off just to see what will
> happen.  Action still feels weird, backchecking is very low.
>
> To those of you who have replaced the action brackets -- what problems did
> you run into, if any?  Were the replacement brackets a good fit, or did
> they require some surgery?
>
> Thanks in advance --
>
> Z! Reinhardt RPT
> Ann Arbor  MI
> diskladame@provide.net

I believe the spread is 112 mm, 'course my memory is not the greatest.
Replacement brackets were for a Webber, but the same brackets are used
on YC and something else. So you'd better check that dimension out with
the folks at YC. YES, one company made the same bracket for three brands
of grand pianos.

The only problem was that the action needed more work than Webber was
willing to pay for. I would have liked to have done a better job at the
regulation, but I had a budget to adhere to.  I asked the customer to
call me if he didn't like the touch after he played for a while. So far
no call.

The new brackets were shorter than the originals, which grew in height
to to some weird reaction in the metal. They fit perfectly.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild