damper tray disaster

CAPSTANDAN@AOL.COM CAPSTANDAN@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:01:05 EST

Dear list,
I've been servicing a 1985 Young Chang concert grand which has a player mech.
installed (it's inside a hotel's lobby). The dampers - starting at about the
break
between the tenor & the bass sections are gradually lifting very little to not
lifting at all (in the mid to lower bass.  A colleague tech. (who originally
installed the player), tried to reinforce the tray by attaching an angle iron
to the bottom of it all the way across, but it didn't make any difference -
the tray appears to bow each time the sustain pedal is depressed.  I called
Young Chang-
trying to get a new ALUMINUM tray but they informed me -it takes 3-4 mos. to
get it shipped to the U.S & by that time the budget the hotel allotted for the
job will disappear.  I did check the flanges which allow the tray to "swing "
up & down, & they seem fine.  Young Chang is sending me another wooden tray at
my request.        <By the way, the action is a Renner action>
Got any ideas to "beef" up the new tray?  There isn't much clearance in that
cavity. The original tray is made out of thinly- vertically laminated pin blk.
material(3/8" wide). I could possibly go to 1/2" I suspect.
Thanks for putting up with such a detailed question.
-Dan Amihud  RPT
Westlake Village, Ca.