You Thought ...

Kgj38@AOL.COM Kgj38@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:55:16 EST

<< Z!  I always point out that the kids who learn on these piano shaped
objects
 do so in spite of the piano ,not because of it!!
 Mark Bolsius
 ---------- >>
I am one of those kids that learned to play in spite of the instrument I had
to practice on.  In fact, the first couple of years I didn't even have a
piano, just a tiny electronic chord organ with keys about 1/3 normal size.
The whole thing could sit in my lap.  When I did get a piano, it cost $25, we
had no idea it needed to be tuned, and our idea of "improving" it was applying
an antiquing kit to the exterior.  Even then, I was my own piano "tech" fixing
things with glue or whatever I could lay my hands on.  The point is:  I Did
learn how to play the piano, quite well actually.  However, I sometimes wonder
at how good I could have been had my parents the income to furnish me with an
adequate instrument and more than a couple of yrs of lessons with the pastor's
wife.  I was one of those kids who would have learned inspite of any setbacks.
I went on to major in music and teach part time at a small private college. In
this day and age I am sure there are families who really cannot afford
adequate instruments or instruction for their children.  What a shame.

Karen Johnson
Rochester, MN
ptg associate