LIST: Something constructive

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:25:56 -0400

Robert Goodale wrote:
(snip)
>      Sand Man
>
> This is NOT an acceptable post to this list- in the least.  I rarely
> comment to these kinds of things.  As a matter of fact I have gotten
> real good at ignoring and using my compost key.  In this case however,
> "Sand Man", whoever you are, be advised--  Filter is now on.

Filters don't work very well.

1)  A filter says 'I am no longer interested in ANYTHING you have to
say.'  You will notice that many of the posts recently have NOT been
well thought out technicial posts.  Yet, nearly everyone on this list
HAS at one time or another made a contribution to a thread that, if
filtered, will cause you, or someone else, to post something that has
already been said.  That happens often, including the recent vertical
action thread.

2)  I decided several days ago to delete WITHOUT READING all of the
posts from Gregory.  I would have assumed you were doing the same, yet
you quoted him, so I ended up having to read this crap anyway.  Gee,
thanks.

Delete doesn't work very well either people don't usually put provide us
with clues in the subject line that their post is not intended to be of
general interest.  However, it would work a lot better if this list used
a subject filter on every post.  The list of subjects might include:

FIELD:
SHOP:
DESIGN:
BUSINESS:
RESOURCES:
SOCIAL:
LIST:
(any other topic suggestions ?)

When this conversion takes place, each list member will decide how many
of the topics he wishes to subscribe to.  ALL will send you
everything.   Anyone who persistently posts under the wrong heading will
be unsubscribed.  Any post that does not have one of the headings will
be automatically filtered out by the software.  I understand this is
easy to set up.  A list of topics, along with brief, specific netiquette
reminders, could be included as part of each post as a header or
footer.

Even if you are inclined to subscribe to ALL, please, out of
consideration for the hundreds of other technicians on the list, give us
the option of chosing what we want to read.

I'm on another list that has recently instituted everything I'm
suggesting.  It's a breath of fresh air.  Just trying to be
constructive.

Carl