Relational Databases/Piano Service

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:10:22 EST

I have read with interest the posts on database software.  I am about to
abandon my MSWorks database (originally imported from Lotus Symphony back in
the dark ages).    I wish to maintain several types of databases which will be
linked, as some have discussed doing on this list.   Examples of this would
be:   Damppchaser system customers, multipiano accounts such as universities
and churches, teachers and their students, rebuild and sales customers, rental
inventory - the list could go on and on (and will when my associate and I
finally create it...).

Reference was made on this list to Approach and Filemaker.     Although my
wife has Lotus Smartsuite (with Approach) on her computer which I could use, I
am interested in whether someone on this list might share their knowledge
about what relational databases may be the best choices for the full time
piano tech business.   (I am still using a 66MHz 486 and will have to purchase
something in the next few months, I am afraid).

Is there someone with one foot in the software database field who can provide
an overview of relational databases which a fullblown piano service business
might consider (might want to refer us to articles in magazines too, if
known).

And those who are happy or unhappy with their relational databases might also
post on this subject as well -

Thanks!

Bill Shull, Shull Piano
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA