To ream or not to ream

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:39:42 EST

Dear Friends and Collegues,

Lately I have been receiving upright pianos in my shop to restring.  My
question is for using oversized pins, should I ream or go one or 2 sizes over
and clean each tuning pin hole with a gun cleaning brush?  I have in the past
did the latter but I have not been totally satisfied with the consistency of
torque.  For example, if the bass section was reading at the lowest torque,
the uppers at a higher torque, then after stringing, the bass may tune quite
comfortable while the uppers the torque was a tad bit too tight to the
approach of my arm getting tired of tuning.

Would a pin driving fluid help or should I ream each hole to allow a better
consistency?  What reamer do you recommend where can I purchase it?  Hope I
was clear and sorry for the rambling.

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter