Exception or rule?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:40:20 -0600

Hi Mark,

A store I work for has a price point upright for sale. I recently played
just one note on it and then compared to the *most expensive* (i.e FOUR
times the price) digital in the store. There was no question the el cheapo
blew the digital *out* of the water. Then too, there is the issue of
technological change? (Hint just try to sell a spinet organ!) The keyboards
4 years from now may as well be considered worthless--where as the bottom
of the line upgright would be accepted at full value on a trade in. Don't
be penny wise and pound foolish. Upgrading to a better accoustic piano is
now a fact of life in the piano biz!

Digitals are *not* there yet. Just one tooners opinion, however.

At 05:19 PM 1/28/99 +1100, you wrote:
>Arlie, I suspect that you are discovering the general malaise many
>manufacturers have at the lower end of the market.
*snip*
>What do other think about the possibility that digital pianos may replace
>these low end pianos leaving the manufacturers producing only the higher end
>real-pianos? I see it more and more in showrooms were people are being shown
>el-cheapo uprights poorly set-up (because there's not enough in the margin
>to do so) and then compare them to a reasonable digital and of course the
>customer is astonished at how good these plug-in wonders are!

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/
3004 Grant Rd.