donated pianos

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:54:09 -0500

Hi Ron,

About a year or so I wrote up an idea for starting a non profit
organization similar to what you have mentioned. (I never did anything with
the idea, but when I get these ideas, I at least have to write them down.)

The idea was to call for donated pianos (and possibly other instruments).
These would then be at least minimally reconditioned so as to be
functional. They would then be offered for sale, with a fair market value
price tag being placed on them.

The non profit organization would take recommendations from pastors, music
teachers, etc. for consideration of certain children who showed musical
talent, but whose families could not normally purchase a musical
instrument.

After testing of the child for musical ability, etc., and background check
on the family to determine need, a certificate would be issued by the
non-profit organization allowing a discount anywhere from 10% to 90% for
the purchase of one of the instruments ready for sale. Donations of cash
would also have to be solicited to subsidize the discounts.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

This could possibly be run in connection with a piano technology school, or
in conjunction with a "rescue mission" such as Salvation Army, Goodwill
Industries, etc.

Comments anyone?

Wally S.
Norfolk, VA