Knight spinet

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:03:53 -0500

Friends:

Once again I came across a piano action I am unfamiliar with.  The piano
I saw for the first time yesterday (Knight spinet serial 11597 made in
1952) appears to be in nice condition but was seriously out of tune due
to neglect and loose tuning pins.  Also, very shallow keydip caused some
multi-striking hammers.  I never before saw a piano with such short
keys; the sharps had less than 3" (8cm) between the balance rail pin and
the back end of the key!

Question 1 - Is there are way to increase keydip "wholesale" that I am
unaware of?  The only way I could think of was to raise the balance
rail, but then the keys would be too high for the name board strip.  I
didn't see any way to lower the front rail.  How did the piano get this
way in the first place?

Question 2 to anyone who is familiar with this particular piano - What
is the purpose of the stationary capstan dowels underneath the wippens?

Question 3 - Where many American spinets would have key forks, this
piano has a wedge-shaped slot in the end of the key, into which the
sticker wire snaps.  Due to the snugness of the sticker wire, don't I
run the risk of cracking the key when removing and replacing the sticker
wires?

Should I even worry myself with this piano?  I thought Knight pianos had
a good reputation, but should I just walk away from this one (is it an
oddball design) since the owners don't seem to care anyway?  The
blubbering hammers really bother me.

Clyde Hollinger
Lititz, PA