Exception or rule?

Tony Caught caute@accessnt.com.au
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:58:39 +0930

Hi Arlie and Mark

>manufactured in countries like Indonesia, China, Malaysia and even the
>'states. And the quality is not nice!!

The Yamaha pianos made in Indonesia are in my opinion potentially better
than those made in Japan.
But firstly realise that Indonesia I think, only makes two models at the
cheaper end of the scale.  Then it appears that all working parts are
Japanese, however, what I like is the better quality cabinets.  These
Indonesian cabinets are made of local laminated materials and not MDF or
CHIPWOOD with green glue.
Sure, initially they require a little more work but, at the price it seems
better value than the cheaper pianos made in country of origin as then they
realy have to cut the costs of materials

>I have been dissappointed by the overall quality of the lower end pianos
>from both Kawai and Yamaha over the past few years. The pianos are being
>pumped out at a price and they seem to cut corners wherever they
>can........but by the same token their mid-range and high end pianos are
>still very good....probably more along the lines of what you are
remembering
>in some of their older models.

The way I see it is simple, pianos regardless of price are supposed to last
for a long time.  Look at the cheaper pianos made by Yamaha.  There are two
types, normal and tropical.  Tropical they use waterproof adhesives and the
hammer heads are stapled. Normal they use white glue and the hammer heads
are not stapled. The cheaper Indonesian piano is Tropical.  Kawai, reciently
I inspected a top of the range Kawai upright that had  water dripping on the
top.  The top had swollen CHIPWOOD WITH GREEN GLUE.  No comment.

Tony  caute@accessnt.com.au