Exception or rule?

Tony Caught caute@accessnt.com.au
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:06:11 +0930

Hi Avery

I think you were right, lousy airconditioning and possibly the top lid left
open on the piano when used when there are people in the room and new humid
air.  I get the same in one school building in Gove Northern territory.

It seems that the humid air gets inside the piano and when the room is
locked overnight, the room and piano get cold thus condensation takes place.

Tony  caute@accessnt.com.au

Tony,

   Two or three years ago, one of our lease program verticals consistently
had condensation on the inside of the piano every time I opened it to tune.
Do you think this could be the same problem? At the time, I just attributed
it to the lousy air-conditioning system in our old music building. That was
the only one that had that problem. Then or since. Just curious.

Avery

>The way I see it is simple, pianos regardless of price are supposed to last
>for a long time.  Look at the cheaper pianos made by Yamaha.  There are two
>types, normal and tropical.  Tropical they use waterproof adhesives and the
>hammer heads are stapled. Normal they use white glue and the hammer heads
>are not stapled. The cheaper Indonesian piano is Tropical.  Kawai,
reciently
>I inspected a top of the range Kawai upright that had  water dripping on
the
>top.  The top had swollen CHIPWOOD WITH GREEN GLUE.  No comment.
>
>Tony  caute@accessnt.com.au

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston