balance rail pin polishing

Ken Jankura kenrpt@cvn.net
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:20:46 -0500

At 08:41 PM 1/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>What do you use to polish front rail and balance rail pins?  I use
>BRASSO polish.
>
>Is this ok? Is there anything better?
>
>How do you treat badly corroded front and balance rail pins other than
>replacement? I've used steel wool and it solved the problem, but I've
>been told it nicks the finish and will lead to premature key bushing
>failure.
>
>Finally, does anyone market a cleaning tool for these pins?  Danny Boone
>describes one in his book, but it requires a used case from a hypdermic
>syringe. These are not readily available.
>
>...looking forward to your advice.
>--
>
>Frank Cahill
>Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
>Northern Va

Frank, Take a piece of hammer remnant felt about 2-1/2 inches long by 1/2
inch square, trim one end a little so that it can be chucked into a 1/2
inch drill, drill a small hole through the center and use Brasso. Takes 2
minutes to make, lasts about one rail worth til the hole gets too enlarged
and full of tarnish gunk. Quick, easy, disposable. Ken