Industrial Chemists, Please?

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 18:08:29 -0400

Bill Ballard wrote
> I've also been toying with the idea of a
>> thin jet
>> of acetone from an air brush, with just enough pressure so that 1.)
>> the
>> acetone won't evaporate before doing its work
>Does acetone have any "sizing" effects on wool felt?????  I would doubt
>it - BUT I do know that it would certainly move waxes, oils, and other
>not-so-desirable things that are also found in wool.
>
>(how 'bout spray-tip
>> directly
>> to hammer crown) and 2.) the stream won't tear apart the fiber matt
>> at the
>> crown. Whatshould happen is that the acetone should undo the gluing
>> together of fibers,

Hopefully Roger Jolly the flush voicer will jump in here, but you may not
need a forceful stream of acetone. If my memory serves, he places a trough
under the grand hammers and uses a squeeze bottle to flush the hardener out
of the hammer. He did not mention any undesirable effects from the
procedure (unless of course you do this in a small closed room).

Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA