Key Leads

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 02 Jul 1999 14:34:01 -0400

Tone,

Lead, even pure lead, melts at a temperature much higher than wax
burns.  The wax would become "dross" which is a floating scum which is
skimmed off before making a pour.  I can see no sense to using beeswax
in molten lead.

Antimony is added to printers lead to control shrinkage cooling.
Antimony shrinks when molten and lead expands when molten.  Printers
absolutely must have precision control over dimensions of the lead
when cold.

It is possible that beeswax will act as a cleanser to bring dross to
the surface quicker even though printers use a compound specifically
designed for that purpose.

		Newton