Grotrian 275

Ray Hopland hoplandr@cadvision.com
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 22:24:20 -0600

Ken:

        I serviced a Grotrian of this era at one time and rebuilt it but =
I don't recall if it was a 275 or a 277 but it was a 9 foot grand.

        I fouind that the downbearing was all over the place, under =
tension the downbearing in the bass was about .125", in the lower tenor =
it was -.125" (yes it was minus) and the rest was in the ballpark.  Upon =
releasing the tension, the bass sprang up to .310" and the lower tenor =
came up to .125" and the rest remained about the same.  The right amount =
of downbearing throughout the piano is of utmost importence (providing =
there is adequate crown) for good tone.    =20

        As for the tone problem in the treble ( which on this piano was =
not good) I had to reset the hammer line. From about G5 to C88 I had to =
arch the hammer line towards the back or rear of the piano about an 1/8" =
to 3/16". You would have to experiment on the instrument you are working =
on to find the right spot.  Of the two pianos available to pick from, =
some of the more discerning pianists picked the Grotrian after the work =
was done.

        Hope this helps.

Regards Ray