Steinway questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 21:53:22 -0600

Greetings all,
                     I am about to rebuild a 54" Steinway vertical ser#
95664, the only plate markings are,
11/12.99 this I assume is the date of casting.  Next, 2731. And finally  2.

Anyone have any idea as to the model type?

I would welcome some feed back from anyone that has shipped an action back
to S & S to have all action parts duplicated and replaced. Any imformation
on Wally Brooks and Abel's duplication services would be helpfull also.

The extreme high treble bridge, (top 6 notes) is different. It's a one
piece bridge from the tenor to the treble (no cap) the top 6 notes has a
butt joint, possibly a different material. This piece was held to the board
by two screws and buttons, once removed I used warm water to clean off the
old glue. This piece sank like a stone in a bucket of water so obviously
it's specific gravity is greater than 1,  it's reasonable to assume that
it's not Maple, so what is it? Boxwood?

Any imformation will be appreciated.

Regards Roger
Roger Jolly