Steinway questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:12:32 -0600

HI Jim,
           From the grain structure you could have fooled me that it was
hard Maple. Allowing for the age and grime, the color is yellowish/orange.
It is definitely dense and heavy,  and is certainly one of the most dense
pieces of lumber that I have ever seen in piano construction.
The end grain butt joint to the main portion of the bridge is the suprise.
It's not uncommon to find a harder material scarf jointed cap in the high
treble, but this is a first that I have noticed.
Roger

At 12:15 AM 04/07/99 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 7/04/1999 12:04:29 AM, baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:
>
><< it's not Maple, so what is it? Boxwood? >>
>
>No Roger it probably isn't "Boxwood", most boxwood is much lighter than most
>maple. There could be some variety that I am not aware of though.  Is it a
>light to dark brownish color, yet not really brown?.....if so it may be
>Lignum Vitae, (Guaiacum officinale or G. sanctum)  which does have a higher
>specific gravity than water and does a remarkably good job of sinking :-)
>
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina