Piano 'detuning'

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:50:14 -0400 (EDT)

>    There are a lot of instruments that take advantage of the choral effect
>by "detuned" unisons.  I play a hurdy gurdy, and its twin chanterelles sound
>much better if I break the unison by about 8 cents, ( always lowering one
>from its harmony pitch).

i once used a yamaha electric piano that sounded great if you slightly
detuned the left and right channels to give it a chorus effect.  i wonder,
though, if this was a result of the tuning or a stereo effect using the two
different speakers?  if it is the tuning, i would think the detuning would
have to be very equally "out of tune" to have that effect.

i have a friend who once tuned a very out of tune piano only to have the
customer complain that he had taken out all the vibrato.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429