Balance rail pins

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:26:00 -0500

I am currently rebuilding a Steinway "B" from 1912 that has 0.162" balance
rail pins.  These are not listed in Schaff, Apsco or Steinway parts
catalogs.  Does anyone know where I can find some?

These are the nicest keys I have come across.  Each mortise is well made and
in excellent shape.  Black key guide pin mortises are in the middle of the
key and none are split out.  The black keys are wider than on current
production pianos.  The keys also appear to be red cedar rather than sugar
pine - though I'm certainly not an expert on wood types.  They are light in
weight, yet appear to be strong.  A0 has only 3 leads in it.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts