Piano 'detuning'

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:30:40 -0700

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote: ...they didn't care. They just

> didn't want the sound of their piano "ruined" by being 'tuned' :-)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Reminds me of something:
The "Piano Teacher"! had not had her new piano
tuned since delivery, years before, and never tuned
the old upright predecessor. Could not believe how she
could use the instrument........unplayable.

I go through  it twice, wining the battle.
She calls back to say the notes sound
beautiful but some intervals
can't be right, I must fix it.
When I arrive she proceeds to play a minor ninth,
c-db found in one of her pieces and cringes,"that
can't be right." I start testing some fourths, fifths,
but she won't hear of it, " Those are fine" she says,
its these intervals" playing the minor ninth again.
I proceeded to explain the passing notes in the
context of the work she was playing. I not sure
she believed me at the time.

With the unisons as bad as they were she had
never this teacher had never really heard the
minor ninths in her piece before.

But she does call back for regular tunings now.

                                           Dave Renaud
                                           RPT
                                           Canada