Steinway questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:10:46 -0600

Hi Newton.
                 Thank's for the response it's helpfull. I've done quite a
few complete actions, other than the clearances of the levers that I noted
as being different, I'll just take my time.
I normally modify all vertical damper systems with Renner triples, and
tri-cords up to mid C to minimise over ring. But on this one I will think
twice.
Since the geometry is tight, do you shoot for 1/8'' of follow or less?
Regards Roger

At 08:05 AM 06/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Wally Brooks has Japanese made direct replacement parts for old S&S
>uprights that are superbly made, fit perfectly and are easy to work
>with.  These are expensive parts but they do work.
>
>I am working on my second action with replacement parts.
>
>Some suggestions.
>
>If butts and levers are in good shape then replacing the flanges can
>go a long way to a functioning action.
>
>Remove all the parts except your samples.
>
>Check the pinning of then install the butts, keep them aligned at 90
>degrees to the rail.  Keep retightening the screws.
>
>Install new damper levers but keep the damper blocks.  They are
>drilled at the exact angle needed to make them work best.  If you need
>to replace any block make them from similar materials and drill the
>angle exactly to it's neighbors.  If these blocks do not have metal
>inserts then install them.
>
>Install the damper levers, align the wires, install the blocks and
>install the new dampers.  Be careful because there is little room for
>the operation of the damper levers between the spoons, action and the
>strings.  Get the dampers working PERFECTLY, muting, timing,
>alignments, before installing the hammers.  This is the most time
>consuming operation of them all.  Adjust the spring tension of the new
>springs before installing the hammers.
>
>You travel the butts by rotating them around the screw.  Shimming the
>flanges spaces the hammers.
>
>Figure that this action will cost you at least twice the time of a
>regular action.
>
>Lots of luck.
>
>		Newton

Roger Jolly