Was Key Leads, now CA and thanks

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:18:01 -0500

>One thing you might try is to  steam the key lead hole, let them dry and
>treat with thin CA.
>The hole will expand with the steam and the CA will grip the lead holding
>it in place.
>Joe Goss

Joe, steam is one thing that had not occured to me although Ive steamed out
dents for twenty years. Good idea...

>One thing that might have saved you a trip to the store, (unless you were
>going anyway) would have been to wack the 5/8 inch lead with a hammer first
>before inserting it into the expanded holes to enlarge the diameter of the
>lead somewhat.

>Regards,
>Mike Miccio RPT
>Brooklyn

Mike, I did try that but these holes were so oddly stretched from uneven
corrosion that I still had gaps and loose spots to fill. Best would have
been to plug, fill spaces w/epoxy and redrill entirely but that was out of
the question budget wise although this was really a charity job anyway, the
kind that always come back to haunt you...

Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
Algiers Piano Works, Ltd

Restoration and Tuning of