Brown action in Chickerings

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 22:25:32 -0100

Hello,

I am researching the Brown action as featured in Chickering grands and
Cocked Hat  pianos between the 1850s(?) and 1870s(?). Our shop has
rebuilt two 1870's grands with this action; a colleague services an
1860s Chickering with it, but I have yet to accompany him. Additionally,
the Boston MFA keyboard collection includes a late 1850's cocked hat
piano which I might request to inspect.

This action interests me because it seems much less prone to wear and
damage than the current model - its drawbacks being a limit on hammer
weight made by the spring between the underlever and the jack, and the
screw _knuckle_ on the hammer shank, later starring as the drop screw in
the "backwards" Chickering shank/flange assembly. The jack, however -
like ...Brambach and WurliTzer grands... (and uprights), is full-width
and has no front stop against which to jam (and break ;-]).

The two Chickerings we rebuilt worked exquisitely within normal
parameters of dip and let-off with light hammers. Apparently, the
earlier action has skinnier parts though it might have shallower dip as
well.

Does anyone know the history of this action, in general and specifically
to Chickering? I'd like to know if there is a graduation in dip between
the early and late actions, and if there is any normal damage apart from
environment, misregulation and inappropriate parts.

Thanks,

Clark Panaccione