No subject

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 02:24:39 PDT

Dear List;

   I am trying to help a customer decide what to do about the 19th. century
Viennese grand piano her mother surprised the grand daughter with as a
present to learn to play piano on.  The little girl loves the piano her
grandmother gave her, and it fits in with the other antiques in the home
beautifully.  Unfortunately it is over a minor third flat, the pins are
loose and it has a Viennese action (which isn't in too bad shape).   The
board and bridges are good, there is no plate, but plate struts.

   When I was younger (and wiser), it would have been easy for me to tell
them to forget going to the expense of rebuilding the piano, but last year I
had the pleasure of sitting in the living room of a concert pianist from
Australia and listening to an hour's concert on the Bosendorfer Viennese
grand (he had learned to play on it) that we had just finished tuning in an
equal beating well temperament.  It was an experience I will never forget.

   I believe this piano may have already been rebuilt in the past, in fact I
think the words are "foreshortened" as it was apparently cut down in size to
fit into the smaller dwellings that were becoming the norm in Vienna at the
turn of the century.  There are two handwritten messages on the underside of
the soundboard where a person couldn't possibly write UNLESS the piano were
disassembled.  The piano is an Anton Pokorny, serial #755.  The first
message on the soundboard is virtually illegible except for the name
Albert.... and the date 1871.  The second says "Abgeschnitten von Ulrich
Prohaska, April 1903.

   The questions I have are: (1.) will the little girl actually end up with
a decent instrument to learn on (no repetition levers here!)
(2.) Will it be able to be tuned at pitch after restringing? and (3.) does
anyone have any idea of the value of the piano before and after restoration?

   Many thanks for your advice!
   Diane