NEW Steinway plate location holes

lance lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:00:24 -0500

Dear List,

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, maybe someone will respond.
Yesterday I worked on a new Crown Jewel Steinway model "O" and it had the
plate location holes.  The holes in the board were almost closed from
lacquer, but they were there.  I spent lots of time peering down the plate
holes to the soundboard holes, running things down the hole, and found that
they did NOT line up!  They were about 1/16 - 1/8" off.  The plate was
closer to the block/stretcher than the holes would have indicated.  SO, my
question is, when are the holes drilled?  Why? Do they use it to install
the plate at the factory?  Is it used for after pulling the plate for
restoration later?  Is it just for rough location or precise?  I really
want to understand the purpose/function/process.  Does it matter? Thanks
very much.
LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
New Orleans Chapter
Mandeville, LA.
II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II
lafargue@iamerica.net

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to
make them all yourself."