NEW Steinway plate location holes

Steinway & Sons tech@steinway.com
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:54:37 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of A440A@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 1999 10:19 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: NEW Steinway plate location holes

Lance asks:
> SO, my
>>question is, when are the holes drilled?  Why? Do they use it to install
>>the plate at the factory?  Is it used for after pulling the plate for
>>restoration later?  Is it just for rough location or precise?

Greetings,
    It was my understanding that the holes indexed the plate and
soundboard(with bridges attached) together.  The fitting of the plate to
installed pinblock occurs after the board is installed in the piano case,
and
the descrepancy in the holes lining up represents how much wood was removed
from the pinblock in order to fit it.
     I would imagine that the initial indexing of the plate/board is
"lengthened somewhat to accomodate this movement.  The width of the bridge
places some limitations on fore and aft tolerances, and the action has a few
demands on where that capo bar ends up.
   It is amazing that they get these things put together at all!!
Regards,
Ed Foote