Noah's Ark

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 15:33:29 -0500

Hi all,

It has been a rather interesting day at the university today
to say the least!

It started out cloudy this morning.  Then it started to
sprinkle a bit.  Soon it was raining.  Before long the
thunder started roaring and we were in for a heavy and
steady down poor.  Next the roof started leaking in the
university piano shop.  I began moving things around a bit
and putting containers in places to catch the water, (the
biggest leak was right over my desk).  The maintenance
people were notified.

Next I get a phone call from the assistant dean.  It seems
that the water is rising around the music building fast and
is entering and filling up the choral rehearsal room.  This
room has a sunken floor and is set lower than ground level.
I arrive and sure enough water is pouring in through the
back doors, (which leads to steps up to ground level).  Well
we have two pianos in this room.  One is a Kawai KG-2 about
twenty years old.  The water is past the wheels and rising
fast.  There is also a harpsichord.  The other piano is
brand new 7' Yamaha.  So new that it is in fact still in the
shipping crate!!  It is a dealer loaner piano.  At this
point the water is past the 2x4s on the bottom and is just
approaching the point where the piano would be sitting in
the crate.

A mad rush now begins to gather people to help move the
pianos to higher ground.   The floor is arranged in long
steps so that chairs can be placed on each step for
rehearsals.  The plan is to move the pianos up a couple
steps.  Fifteen minutes later ten or so volunteers are
rounded up and the piano is moved, (about a full foot above
the current water level).  The old grand is brought all the
way up to the top level and the harpsichord is saved.

The rain continues and rises around the building.  Soon it
is entering the main building and begins running into the
black box theater.  The dance studio's brand new hardwood
floors are now underwater.  Outside a river rushes by and
the commons slowly become a lake as the last bit of high
ground disappears.  Now the water is pouring into the choral
room through the front entrance.  It is over four feet high
outside the back doors and the center post begins to give
was as the force of the water pushes in.  By this time the
rain begins tapering off but the water continues to rise.
It becomes clear that the piano in the crate will need to be
moved again.  More volunteers arrive and we move the piano
up two more steps.  Meanwhile a crew outside stacks
sandbags.

Finally the water level outside begins to drop, (although it
is still filling the choral room).  It looks as though the
situation will be under control.  Then utility folks show up
and order the building evacuated because they must shut down
the power.  At the time that I left it looked as if things
would be okay although three more inches of rain are
expected tonight.  The building is a mess and mud is
everywhere.  Perhaps the piano crate could be made into an
ark?

Rob Goodale, RPT
University of Nevada, Las Vegas

P.S. To top it off I also lost my glasses outside in the
water trying to leap over a stream to get to my car!!