Noah's Ark

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:52:52 -0500

>Finally the water level outside begins to drop, (although it
>is still filling the choral room).  It looks as though the
>situation will be under control.  Then utility folks show up
>and order the building evacuated because they must shut down
>the power.  At the time that I left it looked as if things
>would be okay although three more inches of rain are
>expected tonight.  The building is a mess and mud is
>everywhere.  Perhaps the piano crate could be made into an
>ark?
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
>University of Nevada, Las Vegas
>
>P.S. To top it off I also lost my glasses outside in the
>water trying to leap over a stream to get to my car!!

Hi Rob, Ive been through this a few times both in the shop and at peoples
homes.The best suggestion I can give is immediately open everything up and
get dehumidifiers and fans going. The faster you get air circulating the
less rust, mildew and dissolving glue joints you'll see. Take tension off
the harpsichord or youll break strings, may be too late already. Those thin
boards are very susceptible to humidity swings, taking one outside for a
concert will often have the soundboard buzzing on the 4' strings. Actually
I think youll be surprised how well most instruments handle the whole
thing. I tune regularly a Fischer grand that floated in the living room of
a 9th ward house during hurricane Betsy carrying the 7th birthday presents
of the current owner, no restoration work was ever done cause they had to
rebuild the house first. It is still fine and plays/tunes as well as
ever.Also three years ago a Yamahe C7 got filled with water at Jazzfest
when the stage cover and tarp blew off. It was dried out immediately (5am
as I recall) and still in service at a local music school and doing rental
work with no sign of ill effects. On the other hand Sohmers and Baldwins
disintegrated in the 95 flood, all cloth fell off, all case joints opened
up, bridges fell apart etc, etc...

Good luck, I know its tough to deal with but youall will pull through Im sure.

Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
Algiers Piano Works, Ltd

Restoration and Tuning of