question about a file? - MS app

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:07:31 -0500

Ron & List,

   I know I probably shouldn't do this but because of Ron's comment below,
it just seemed SO appropriate. :-) Forgive me.

Avery

>>Keith,
>>
>>I believe that term sprang from usage of MicroSoft applications.
>>
>>Or was that discribing them  . . .?
>>

>Sorry Jon, but there isn't a lot of evidence that much of anything ever
>*sprang* from MicroSoft application usage. Something will occasionally drag
>itself out into the light and die horribly, but there doesn't seem to be
>much springing going on. If you were to change the wording from "sprang" to
>"slunk", I'd certainly concede the point.
>
>"Format your hard drive, or Halt and catch fire"     [Y]es   [N]o
>                                                      ^
>Pound forhead on keyboard to procede.
>
> Ron N

 A helicopter was flying around above Seattle when
 an electrical malfunction disabled all of the
 aircraft's electronic navigation and communications
 equipment.  Due to the clouds and haze, the pilot
 could not determine the helicopter's position and
 course to fly to the airport.

 The pilot saw a tall building, flew toward it,
 circled, drew a handwritten sign, and held it in
 the helicopter's window.  The pilot's sign said
 "WHERE AM I?" in large letters.

 People in the tall building quickly responded to
 the aircraft, drew a large sign, and held it in a
 building window.  Their sign read:

 "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER."

 The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map,
 determined the course to steer to SEATAC airport,
 and landed safely.

 After they were on the ground, the co-pilot asked
 the pilot how the "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER" sign
 helped determine their position.

 The pilot responded "I knew that had to be the
 MICROSOFT building because they gave me a technically
 correct, but completely useless answer."