Vibrator as Diagnostic

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:42:29 -0500

Bill,
I'd use an electronic keyboard hooked through an amplifier if necessary.
Most of them have some sort of pitch adjustment.
Dale
Dale Probst
Assistant Institute Director
PTG Annual Convention
Kansas City--July 21-25,1999
wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
http://www.ptg.org/1999/conv/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Bill Ballard
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 1999 9:46 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Vibrator as Diagnostic

I'd been listening to a grunting sound, like a fallboard-to-front-stretcher
or loose metal lyre brace, during the tuning of a Falcone 74, sympathetic
to F4. In trying to chase it down, the best I could come up with was that
it was coming from inside the action cavity (loud and clear). So I fastened
anything inside I thought could be making noise: damper upstop rail, damper
assy mounts, action brackets to key frame, the rails on the key frame. At
first it seemed to go away when I pried downward on the action brackets
from the pinblock. The key frame bedding was quite solid. I could not
follow the sound over the strings, or under the keybed.

But for all this screw-tightening, I never had direct access to the sound,
because it required the action being in place to play F4 (348 Hz).

What I needed was a signal generator, tunable to any pitch in the hearing
range which could drive a speaker magnet to inject 348 Hz  onto various
spots inside the action cavity. It would sure excite the sympathetic
vibration.

Has anybody ever done this? Would a Dremel tool on a rheostat do this? (My
first thought was a vibrator, but I would have no idea whether they are
tunable or not).

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"If we see you SMOKING we will assume that you are on fire and will take
appropriate measures".......Sign in a Music Dept. Hallway