Museum Steinway upright

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:26:03 -0400

The action of such a piano is in two sections.  The upper section
removes easily and looks like a studio action.  The stickers remain in
place.

There may be a screw in the key under the leather for taking up lost
motion.  Alternatively there may be an adjustment between action and
sticker.

I would carefully mic the leather thickness and get some new material
for replacement of the entire set.  Check the condition of the butt
leathers as well.

Also check that the stickers are attached to the wippens by a snap
arrangement where the stickers have a felt lined slot the snaps around
the wippen center pin.

		Newton