Regulating Woes

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 16:53:58 -0400

> It is difficult to tell if the hammers are bored exactly the same. The old
> hammers were shot and had been heavily filed, so I can only estimate the
> distance from the strike point to the hole. The distance from the hole to
> the back of the molding is the same.

The shank should be just short of parallel to the strings when the
hammer is against same.  If the hammers are so short that the shank is
vertical or past then you have a performance problem as well as a
regulation problem.

You can put a small bubble level on a square block os wood, check the
strings with the bubble then check the hammer shank.  Simple but
necessary.

If the hammer bore is longer then you will have less after touch then
you would like.

You can tell nothing about the length of the tail on an upright.

		Newton