Baldwin Action Problem

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:55:59 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/99 7:32:41 AM EST, smccloud@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I do wish Baldwin would stick with the other system of
 action brackets which have the studs  coming out of the pinblock.  I
 just hate to think what I'd have to do if the bolt holes stripped out.
 Using a socket wrench to start the screws is a good idea (thanks!).
     Thanks again, y'all.
     Paul McCloud
     San Diego >>

I have been following this thread which others have answered so well.  I have
also encountered this problem and was just as perplexed with it the first
time.  Especially in light of your last post, I agree with those who say that
the factory person may have put a little too much tension in the right side
of the action frame.  You have only to let that tension down and adjust it
again after installing the action.

The usual action design that has the studs standing out from the back can
also give you a similar problem.  They are actually a very strong, short and
stiff spring that holds the action down upon the action posts.  The most
common problem is to find that the spring does not hold the action down
tightly enough and you hear a "clunking" or "chirping" (just fixed one of
those a week ago) sound when using the damper pedal because it moves the
action on and off of the ball joint.

Sometimes, also, there is so much pressure that it is difficult to remove the
action.  You have to pry up on those studs to get the action out from under
them and when you go to put it back, it seems as though it won't fit.  You
have to pry up on them to get the action back in.  If the stud is too high or
way too low, you can adjust it by taking a pair of channel lock pliers or a
special bending tool that some techs have and give the bolt a forceful bend
in the needed direction.

If you move the bottom posts up or down even the smallest amount, you will
change the lost motion by quite a bit.  Be mindful of this because it may
also be something you need to do.  Someone else may have tried to make an
improper adjustment before you or the action could have never been quite
right even from the factory and you are elected to make it right.  A little
capstan turning never hurt anybody unless it has been done unnecessarily.

So, even if Baldwin did change the design (which it probably won't), it
wouldn't eliminate this kind of problem and it wouldn't change all of the
pianos out there that are built this way.  This is one of the finer points
you learn with experience that is not in any book and isn't part of the RPT
Technical Exam.  It does cause a lot of techs to curse though until they
learn how to deal with it.

Regards,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin