Regulating Woes

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:41:04 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Newton,

I have done the checks that you suggested. The main action rail appears to
be straight as an arrow. I wonder if the butt springs have too much tension.
When disengaged they are slightly above the top of the hammer butt, which I
believe is about right. I hesitate to reduce the tension lest I end up with
bobbling hammers.

There are very few weighted keys, only from F6 up to C88.

I don't really know what the touch weight was like before I worked on this
piano as pretty well everything was shot. Everything was very loose and
sloppy. I did lots of re-bushing and re-pinning along the way. I have been
doing this type of work just for the experience in hopes of someday passing
the technical exam. It's a slow grind with the nearest RPT being 400 miles away.

I have only the supply house gram weights with the nut, so my measurements
may not be too accurate. Here is what I came up with:

Note     DW    UP   BW    FR
C1       53    36   46    8.5
F1       56    36   44    10
C2       48    33   40.5  7.5
F2       54    33   43.5  10.5
C3       54    33   43.5  10.5
F3       56    33   44.5  11.5
C4       52    32   42    10
F4       54    32   43    11
C5       56    33   44.5  11.5
F5       54    35   44.5  9.5
C6       54    35   44.5  9.5
F6       58    42   50     8
C7       58    40   49     9
F7       60    42   51     9

I have had very little to do with weight measurements, so I don't really
know what to look for. I can see that the balance weights are too high and
friction is too low in some areas.

I'll have to dig out my reprint book on Hammers and Touchweight and do some
reading.

Thanks for your interest.

Terry
(Wishing I was on the way to KC)