Regulating Woes

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:47:57 -0400

At 07:27 PM 7/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks Newton,
>
>I'll get some weights and fiddle with it. I guess I don't read too well.
>Re-reading your post I now see that it should have been F#s.
>
>One thing I was wondering about. I replaced the whippen cushion. If the new
>material was slightly thinner than the original stuff, then the capstan
>would have to be raised and would no longer be on a line between the balance
>rail pin and the whippen center pin. Perhaps that has caused the increase in
>weight.

Does this apply to upright actions, the line betwixt br hole and wip cp for
capstan/cushion?

I'm not familiar with the geometry of an upright action and David Stanwood's
studies apply to grands. They probably can be transferred to verticals but
it's
a lot of work for an upright.

But if you want to pursue it, start with the hammer spring tension, they need
to be
strong enough to push it back, not too forcefully though. I installed new
springs once
and had the reduce the tension as the DW was too high.  Adding lead to the
front
can compensate but not to overcome excessively heavy springs. Springs first.

Someone with direct knowledge of vertical regulation in regards to spring
tension
will hopefully chime in soon.

Regards,

Jon Page